POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : HF height: bug report : Re: HF height: bug report Server Time
6 Oct 2024 10:59:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HF height: bug report
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 5 Aug 2001 09:22:14
Message: <3b6d4886@news.povray.org>
In article <3b6d2f36@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   A good compiler would issue a warning there (because the condition is
> always false) and the bug would have been located immediately.
>   However, as the POV-Ray source code issues about 10000 warnings I suppose
> that no-one has full warnings turned on in their compilers (or if they have,
> this specific warning gets buried under all the other 9999 ones).

This bug is actually one of the many code quality problems in MegaPOV.  A
good developer should know which warnings are informative and which are more
like non-fatal errors.  Turn off the float-double conversion warning and you
get only very few warnings.

For example, would you consider the legal code ISO C/C++ "long I = 'abcd';"
worth a (by default on) warning?  Well, the gcc developers think so...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde